Rye flour gives the pancakes a slightly spicey flavor and and is excellent as a sourdough ingredient. Serve with butter and syrup.
Takes about , including 5 minutes the evening before to prepare the batter.
- 1 cup whole grain rye flour
- ⅛ cup sourdough starter
- 1 egg
- The night before, mix sourdough starter, flour, and water to form a batter. The batter should be pourable yet thick enough to hold bubbles.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat.
- In the morning, reserve ⅛ cup of sourdough and refridgerate for later use.
- Separate the egg. Add the yolk to the batter and stir in.
- Beat egg white until stiff and fold into batter. Do not overstir.
- With a large spoon, spoon batter onto hot griddle and cook until golden brown, then flip the cake. When it is golen brown on other side, remove from griddle.
Makes 6 pancakes about 5-6 inches each.